The best JA companies of the year are chosen in the Uskalla Yrittää final. The main award categories are the best company on elementary, upper secondary and higher education levels. In addition to the main awards there are awards in other categories too.
The best companies in Finland are chosen by a jury of professionals from the business life. The jury will investigate the operation of the companies for two days.
The best JA company in Finland
Both from the elementary and the upper secondary level will be chosen the best JA companies of the school year and the winner is chosen for its excellence as a whole. The jury will evaluate the operation of the companies at the fair, during the business presentations and in the interview of the jury.
In the JA Company Programme the purpose is to learn the following things:
- Problem solving
- Interaction skills
- Self-imposed search for information and learning
- Applying know-how in practice
- Know-how in business (marketing, economic control, management)
The duty of the jury is to evaluate the learning based on what the JA company has achieved and done during the school year and how well it is prepared for the national final.
A recipe for a prospering company is:
- A functional and feasible idea and product/service.
- A plan of operation where the functionality of the idea is appraised and the execution planned.
- A versatile and well managed execution of the company
(planning, production, marketing, accounting, reporting). The execution includes lots to do, activities, different procedures and learning experiences.
- A good and clear reporting describing operation and learning
- A well planned business presentation
- A good delivery in the interview of the jury
A clear view of possibilities for development of the own operation.
Different members answer the questions and they have a common vision.
- An eager will to learn and advance in the future as well
- Enough revenue/customers and a positive profit the company can prove the functionality of the idea and own activity in acquiring customers as well.
Revenue and the profit of the company during the school year is important because it shows the potential of the company and is a proof of the work made. Solely the amount of profit doesn’t matter that much because ideas are different and their potential for gain might depend on the living region of the youngsters.
1. Activity at the fair
During the fair will be followed:
- How the cooperation between the member of the JA company works?
- How the JA company succeeds in presenting the products ant the company itself at the fair?
- Is the stand at the fair a visually logical wholeness and does it help the selling?
2. Business presentation
- A 4 minute long presentation of the company which is a clear ensemble of the company and its possibilities.
- The participants can use in their presentation supporting material suca as PowerPoint, Prezi tai PDF -presentations or other visual support but forms of non-live presentations is prohibited to use.
- Using of short videos is allowed but the time used on the video is included in the four minute presentation. It’s good to thik thoroughly does the video help the presentation.
- Concerning the content it pays off to describe what the company does, why it does it, has it made profit and what you have learned.
- The language of the presentation:
- The presentation language on elementary level is Finnish, Swedish or English.
- The presentation language on the upper secondary level is English.
3. The interview of the jury
- A 5 minute long interview where the company arrives as one group.
- The purpose of the interview is to give the jury a clear picture about the operation of the company and the evaluation focuses on skills in interviewing/negotiating, the clarity of the answers, sticking to the point, arguments on the company’s possibilities of success and the fact that the answers are in line with the things told in the annual report.
- Language: All the interviews are made in Finnish, Swedish or English according to the groups wishes.
NOTE! Members of the best JA company of the upper secondary level can be at most 21 years old 31.7.2018. The age limit is based on JA Europe’s rules concerning the final competition for the European championship.
The award will be confirmed closer to the final.
Upper secondary level
The best JA company of the upper secondary level represents Finland in the competition for the European championship in Serbia in July 2018.
Higher education level
The best JA company of the NY Start Up programme represents Finland in the European championship in summer 2018.
Best NY Start Up -company award winner participants need to be between 18 – 29 years of old. You have to be under 30 at the date of the European Final competition. This is due to European Final regulations as the NY Start Up -programme is the first time entrepreneurship experience for young people. There is no age limit in other categories.
Award categories open for all levels
The Kamppi shopping centre is one of the most significant rendezvous-points in Helsinki and it is passed through over 100 000 people per day.
Every company gets to the scene to present itselfwith a short sales speech during the fair. The sales speech lasts for 30 seconds and is heard all over the shopping centre. A sales speech is short and concise and wakes the customers interest for the product or service.
In the competition concerning social media the companies collect likes for their own picture. Nuori Yrittäjyys ry publishes a photo album on Facebook. The album introduces all the finalists and it is published on 6.4.2018 and it is possible to like until 18.4.2018 at 23:59.